Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thou shalt not covet...except...

In the Bible it clearly states that one should not covet those things which his neighbor possesses. It is a sin, actually, to peer out your window or over your fence at the neighbor's 3/4 acre lot (complete with immaculate landscaping, a basketball court and fire pit), and wish that it belonged to you rather than them...
I can avoid coveting what those around me have. I am grateful for my blessings, and do not look at my neighbors with jealousy or longing.
With that being said, I don't believe there are any rules against coveting things that one's SISTER has.
My sister, Chris, leads a charmed life. She has exceptional children, a husband who supports her with steadfast commitment, a beautiful home (decorated to the hilt, as well as speckless, spotless and squeaky clean), and a zany sense of humor--making her the consistent favorite of any group or gathering.
I have always been happy for Chris. Pleased with her successes, proud of her accomplishments, the first to laugh at her comedic acts...
But over the past year and a half her life has become one that I envy almost on a daily basis.

First of all, almost a year and a half ago Chris and Jason adopted a gorgeous little brown baby boy named Braxton. The entire adoption process was an amazing spiritual journey unmatched by anything I have ever experienced in my life time. This scrumptious little brown sugar lovebug is a superstar in our family. He mesmerizes adults and children alike with every move that he makes and every "uuuhhh!" that he utters from his perfectly plump little brown lips. I love everything about him, and, truth be told, I wish I could have him!

Apparently having the most enchanting child on the planet isn't enough for my sister. A few months ago she and Jas put a beautiful swimming pool in their (already) exquisite backyard! She can walk out her back door, take three steps to a lounge chair and be tanning by 9:30am! No more public pools! No more lines to stand in, no foul bacterial infections to catch from leaky swim diapers, no pregnant women in bikinis or obscene tatoos to keep the kids from gawking at...
So, within a year and a half Chris has both a brown baby AND a swimming pool--how can one not be insanely jealous over such precious assets?
There is silver lining to my little green cloud, however...Chris is willing to share!
I may forever covet what she has, but at least I get my turns babysitting and lots of invites to the pool!

5 comments:

cami said...

Thou shalt not covet thy sisters brown baby and swimming pool! Words I have to remind myself everyday!:) We are lucky that she is so willing to share both! Fun times with the cutest little brown boy in that pool!

The Luke Family said...

Well I shall covet those things because I have yet to be able tto experience those fun and relaxing times that you all speak of!! Besides, I don't get to see cute little Braxton all too often either!!

Ohh and just so you know, I amno longer with the boy, and trust me when I say that it is for the best!! :)

Love you tons!!

Trish said...

Are we living the same life? I have that sister too!! Luckily, she is also very willing to share all with her pesky little sister. No wonder we get along so well.

Chris said...

Wow, talk about an ego boost!! You are so sweet and I am glad that you know that mi casa es su casa!! (my spanish is not too great!!)Brax already thinks that everyone is on the planet to pay attention to him so why must we think any different!! I guess I never heard that it is bad to covet because I covet my two beautiful, blond, gorgeous sisters everyday of my life.... but I still love ya both!!
P.S. We will talk later about you POSTING a picture of me in my swim-suit!! Not a pretty sight ... you forgot to mention that you do not covet my thunder thighs!!

jessica said...

That little guy is so dang precious! I wish I was able to see him more often, but I guess I will be seeing more of him at the pool every week this summer. Ha ha ha ha! Braxton was so fortunate to come to such an amazing family. I am so happy that Christin's dream finally came true to adopt a little brown baby, she so deserves it!