Thursday, May 15, 2008

I am a mother

I used to dislike mother's day. I always felt like it should be this momentous occasion on which I was honored and revered by my family. I had visions each year of perfectly behaved children catering to my every need and a husband tripping over the perfect children to fawn over the mother of the little angels he just tripped over...
Well, it took a few years to realize that my fantasy was just that--a fantasy--one that would never materialize into anything more than a lovely illusion in my mind. On mother's day one still has to be a mother--and being a mother does not involve anything resembling catering or fawning. I decided a few years ago to stop relying on everyone else to make my mother's day memorable, and to take control of the day, and the whole weekend for that matter and make it my own. I have to say, since taking a proactive approach to the second weekend in May I have learned to love mother's day and everything that goes along with it!

My weekend began with an early rising and a trip down to Gateway for Race For the Cure. Jennie, Rachelle and I have been doing this race since 2001, and it has become a cherished yearly tradition. The race benefits the prevention and treatment of breast cancer, and involves several thousand participants. All around us are women of all ages wearing pink hats and t-shirts identifying them as breast cancer survivors. There are many who appear to be younger than me, pushing babies in strollers, wearing scarves to cover the more obvious signs of chemo. It is an inspiring and very humbling experience.


(We took the race slowly this year--walking at a leisurely pace due to my zero energy issue. This is a change for us as we usually run the race...very fast...typically in a sprinting fashion...)


(We are part of a team called "Vals Pals." Each year we race in memory of our dear friend Valerie Ruff who passed away from breast cancer two years ago.)


(Another vital part of our yearly tradition is treating ourselves to lunch, a chick flick and loads of shopping!)

Mother's Day itself began as every Sunday morning does...chaotic and ridiculous as I rush around from room to room attempting to feel the spirit of the Sabbath but instead feeling only intense rage as shouts of I AM NOT WEARING THIS! and MY HAIR LOOKS AWWWWFUL! resonate through the house.

Church was awesome...

The remainder of my mother's day consisted of little hugs from my hubby and kids, scrubbing potatoes for dinner, receiving several fabulous gifts (self portraits, a poem, a plate, money!!! lots of cards and artwork) from my perfectly behaved children (oh, wait a second, that was the fantasy...) and their daddy. Luke gave me a card that said..."I am happy when my mom...turns on the TV for me,"(stellar mothering skills at work in my home!) and spending almost an hour chatting with the missionaries (I thought they would give us a five minute thought and be on their way--nope--) My family arrived at five for dinner--Chris, Cami and I always treat our incredible mother to dinner on mother's day. This is a highlight for us as it gives us a chance to do a little something for our wonderful mom who does so very much for us.
We rounded out the day with a lovely visit with Scott's parents, sister and fam.

I used to dislike mother's day. Now I love it. I love the traditions, the homemade gifts with little signatures forever preserved, even the chaos is a little easier to take because it defines my greatest role--the one I celebrate each May--I am a mother, this is my life, and I love it!

7 comments:

cami said...

Looking at the pictures from the race, I must say that I am a little disapointed that Rachelle did not try to do anything fancy with her sleeves this year! Mothers day was great this year! You are a fabulous host!

Rachelle Woolley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachelle Woolley said...

Everyone at the race was a little disappointed about the sleeves!! There is always next year :)

Trish said...

I am so happy to see you have a blog. I love to read friends updates. You have a darling family! If your mothering skills are half what your friend skills are, you are amazing! I laughed at the turning on the TV card, that would so be my girls.

Jana said...

Yeah! I get to read about the cute Warner family. I can relate to your Sunday mornings. However, it seems at my house it is Sunday chaos all day.

Quelly said...

I just love your mom - you need to put a picture of her on your blog - I bet she still looks as classy and put togehter as I remember

Jaquie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.