Sunday, April 27, 2008

Yeah Baby!


This is Scott, my husband of nearly 18 years. Scott is a shaved head, soul patch wearing, motorcycle-riding kind of guy. He has a customized Harley--emblazoned with black and blue skulls, flames, and the shiniest rims you've ever seen on the road. He rides with his black leathers also adorned with skulls and an attitude that has "bad you-know-what" written all over it.
(necessary side note here...)Scott looks tough on the outside, but he is very kind and loving on the inside. Sometimes those who know him well chuckle at the sight of him and his beloved bike. It's so him, and yet it's not, at the same time!

Say what you will, Scott is a "take control" kind of guy, and is not easily intimidated. He just DEALS with things--sometimes so I don't have to, and I love that! I always feel very safe and secure around him--a comfortable place to be.

Last week Scott had to go to the hospital for a GED. Aka a GI endoscopy. Aka a tube that goes down your throat to examine the lining of the esophagus and stomach.
Due to the fact that the tube is about the diameter of a garden hose, patients are sedated quite heavily for this procedure. This is where my fun begins...


After the procedure was complete they wheeled Scott into the little room where I was waiting. When I saw him my initial reaction was one of concern and uneasiness. My super tough husband appeared so vulnerable and helpless, lying on a mobile hospital bed, an IV in his arm, oxygen in his nose, and a noisy monitor beeping incessantly-- reminding him to take deep breaths. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes as I walked over to the side of his bed, "Hi Hun," I said, "How are you feeling?" Scott turned to look at me and that's when I lost it...oh no, I didn't cry, I started laughing...Scott looked at me with eyes the size of salad plates, no sign of recognition on his face..."I grummmmmeddd nellll of the roooop," he said. Then he was out. His procedure went well, and there was no sign of anything serious, so it was all about the post-anesthesia chit chat now. I had to work on waking him up and keeping him breathing, so I was asking him all sorts of questions. Most of these he would respond to with an enthusiastic "Yeah Baby!" Channeling ones inner Austin Powers is apparently a side effect of those amnesic drugs. He kept telling the same story over and over and over again, and asked what time it was about fifteen times. He would open his eyes really wide and say "Okay! I'm awake now!" Then his head would fall back onto the pillow or against the wall and he would start snoring like crazy. Unfortunately, every time I would bring up money...as in...can have a little extra?...he would suddenly become very lucid as he would explain details of our current financial situation including our agreement to cut back on spending... followed by "yeah baby!" and then he was out again. What is it with men and money?

Scott recuperated fairly quickly from the mind numbing effects of the fabulous meds he was given at the hospital. However, he describes the whole evening as "a bit of a blur." I may just use that blurriness to my advantage in the future...

Although I had my fun listening to his silly rantings and watching his exaggerated reactions, I must admit that I was relieved when he returned to his normal, calm, levelheaded, problem-solving, lovable tough-guy self again!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

he needs to get a tough guy patch that says, "just say no to drugs."

ps- this picture juxtaposes so well with the one of luke a few posts down-- it's like the same thing, 20 years later!

cami said...

I told Thom that story on Saturday when I got home from work. He had a good laugh!

Skully said...

For the record...I remember everything that happened that afternoon and evening except for my new "Skully" tattoo that features my bike. :-)

Seriously, it's great to have an awesome person like Cindy to take care you you when you're down and out and then makes fun of you on her blog. She did ask my permission first.

Love you babe!

Lafonda said...

I have seen that hunk of burning love out on the streets and can I just say ... I WANT A PIECE OF HIM!!