Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Journey to Hashimoto

I've recently been on journey...one that began six weeks ago and is not at its end, but has begun is slow spiral to conclusion.
Six weeks ago I woke up, took a look in the mirror and was instantly drawn to an unusual area of swelling on the right side of my neck. Convinced my eyes were playing tricks on me I immediately pointed it out to Scott asking "does my neck look swollen to you?" His wide eyed expression and shocked response of "what IS that?" dashed all hopes of exaggeration on my part.
The doctor believed I had an unusual infection developing in my lymph nodes. He treated me with antibiotics but ordered a blood draw to check my thyroid levels "just in case." This very wise decision revealed that I had something very wrong going on with my thyroid. By the next afternoon I had an ultrasound done and an appointment with an ENT to discuss the multiple, large "masses" that had been discovered on my thyroid gland. At this point I was scared to death. I kept hearing things like "most likely noncancerous," followed by "but, if you're going to have cancer, thyroid cancer is the one to have." Apparently it's quite treatable. But if it's all the same, I would rather not have any sort of cancer at all, thank you very much!
I had to wait a full week for a biopsy, each day dealing with symptoms of hyperthyroidism like sweating, pounding heart, shakiness, shortness of breath, and and all sorts of other uncomfortable conditions. I had no idea the thyroid gland--this little butterfly-shaped nodule in my neck controlled so many body functions and could create such havoc with those functions!
The biopsy was an interesting experience. Not horrible, but very unnerving as I had to lie flat on my back, neck extended attempting to watch peripherally as they poked and prodded the swollen area of my neck with various needles. The best part of the procedure was at the end as I sat up shaky and exhausted from nervous anxiety and Scott says to me, "that wasn't bad at all!" I chuckled at his very man-like statement counting in my head the number of times I was going to be able to retell that one for a good laugh!
The next day I found out the results of the biopsy showed benign cysts that would just have to be watched and monitored over the next few months. I was beyond thrilled! So grateful for the positive outcome, as was my family. My dad cried when I told him, and so many others joined me in feeling overwhelmingly blessed and relieved. Little did I know my journey was not over here...
My symptoms worsened, even threatening a condition called thyroid storm. I started on medication, and began feeling better immediately (thank you Dr. McDreamy). I went in for some very fascinating nuclear medicine scans which involved drinking and injecting radioactive solutions! I told my kids I had super powers after I had my first radioactive study--they were quite impressed.
These tests combined with several more blood tests led my current doctor to diagnose me with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (I have a hard time saying that without giggling! what a name!!!). Hashimoto's is an autoimmune thyroid disease, and I will never know why I got it. It can be treated with medications, and other than feeling tired and cold, I am now doing quite well.

This journey has taught me several things...
--I will never, ever take good health for granted again!
--I have the most supportive husband, family and friends in the entire world!
--I live in a wonderful ward where I have been watched over and taken care of immensely!
--When someone offers to bring in dinner never say no--it is a treat beyond all measure!
--Prayers are heard and answered!
--You have to laugh at serious things or you will spend your days in tears.
--Everybody knows someone with thyroid disease--it is far more common than I realized until I started telling every single person in my life what was going on with me (obviously not a private person!). I was able to learn a lot from what others have gone through.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Wow. I have missed a lot. I'm glad you have a diagnosis...I have found that is half the battle. Hope you are doing well...and when can I bring dinner?

Unknown said...

Wow! You are an amazing person! You have always been a great example to me with your strength and determination! I am glad things have calmed down a bit...and WHEN can I BRING YOU dinner???

cami said...

You go see internal medicine. You tell them you in thyroid storm! Who am I?
When can I bring you dinner?

Brooke said...

why did i not know this? i would've brought you dinner in a heartbeat.

glad you're feeling better.

Rachelle Woolley said...

I was wondering if you could bring me dinner...my thyroid is fine, but I don't feel like cooking!