Friday, April 4, 2008

"I'll never let go, Jack, I'll never let go!"


Welcome to my first official blog post! I am so excited to enter this new techno form of journaling! I have been hesitant to start a blog simply because I talk so much that I figure anybody who knows me would never want to read what I have to say when they already hear it firsthand! But, I thought, what a fantastic way to record events and recount stories. When my kids do or say something adorable or hysterical I always say, "I'm going to write that down!" But I never do...now I will...nothing will be forgotten!
First things first, I must explain the title of my blog: NEVER LET GO. This phrase comes from my favorite movie of all time...Titanic. Rose realizes that in order for her to be saved from the icy waters of the ocean she must let go of Jack's frozen, dead hands (sniff!!) and alert the rescuers that she is still alive. Before she releases him to sink, lifeless, into the depths of the sea below (sob!!) she kisses his hands and makes a promise to "never let go." She goes on to live a happy and successful life, never letting go of the love she and Jack shared aboard the ill-fated ship (sigh...). Anyway, I adopted Rose's words for a far less romantic reason. Never let go typifies my personality. You see, I tend to be a bit obsessive about things, subjects, people, etc. Whereas most people may be "interested" in certain things, I obsess about them! Examples: Titanic--when that movie came out I made it my mission to find out everything there was to know not only about the making of the movie, the stars, etc., but also the actual historical events surrounding the real Titanic. Celebrities--Ben Affleck being number one (I became physically ill when I learned he was dating JLo!), Constantine, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Eric Bana, get the picture? Reality TV--it started with Survivor and now includes American Idol, Biggest Loser, etc, etc. TV shows--Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives--ask me ANYTHING about ANY of these shows--I will be able to tell you what you need to know. Let's see, what else? The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyers, King Henry the VIII and his six wives (after reading and seeing The Other Boleyn Girl). Women's oppression by the Taliban in Afghanistan (A Thousand Splendid Suns inspired and sickened me.) Can't forget politics--I am a moderate Republican with huge soap boxes I just love to stand on and shout my views and opinions! Oh, and thyroid disease--that one hasn't been much fun but I've gleaned every bit of info I can from mythyroid.com.
I have to say it's not all about entertainment and research for me, however. There are many other things that I will "Never let go"...of... I am fiercely loyal. If I am your friend I will be your friend for life and will fight to the death for you. Same goes for my family--both my own immediate family and the one I grew up with. My faith and values are very dear to me. My house has to be clean or I go crazy! I like to think I encourage my kids, but truth be told, I obsess about whatever new activity they are involved in. Whether it be theater, soccer, or (our latest) tennis...I throw everything I have into the activity believing that my kids will be the most successful actor/soccer player/tennis player EVER!! I can count the number of jobs I have ever had on one hand and one finger! I do not like change, and when I have a good job--I keep it!
I'm sure there are many more examples that will become apparent over time. For now I will leave it with these! My goal is to post often, but I swear they won't all be so long!

5 comments:

Jill said...

I have been wondering about your Thyroid....I've been out of town and out of touch. I hope you are doing well.

Congrats on your first post!

Rachelle Woolley said...

fantastic first post...I can't imagine being that obsessed about anything, but to each his own I guess :) Looking forward to upcoming posts.
Rachelle

penny said...

I am sooo excited about your blog. You go girl.

cami said...

Well now not only are all of my friends blogging, now my family is doing it too! I am so excited! I guess I will have to start one soon! I love your whole "never let go" look at life!

Skully said...

Witty, well-written, & very cute!

Love,
Your #1 fan