Friday, November 28, 2008

No mashed potatoes, but we're having a baby!


Six years ago today was Thanksgiving Day. We were planning to have dinner at Cherie's, we were in charge of the mashed potatoes.

I was excruciatingly pregnant, two weeks shy of my due date and on bed rest attempting to avoid a uterine rupture (a common risk after three c-sections).

Long story short...I awoke in the wee hours of the morning in an unusual amount of pain, and rushed to the hospital (due to the aforementioned risks of this pregnancy). I was hooked up to monitors and given a massive dose of morphine for the pain. When it was discovered that I was in full blown labor (huge problem due to aforementioned risks of this pregnancy) everyone moved in double time to get me prepped and ready for the OR. The doctors, nurses, my husband, and parents (who had just arrived at the hospital) were extremely concerned and their sober faces hinted at their obvious unease. I was the only one untouched by the gravity of the situation because I was lounging on a beach somewhere south of the border, occasionally floating just above the surface of the earth in a delightful, cozy sort of way. I was in a narcotic daze (aka ten mgs of morphine) that kept me content and untroubled through a hurried transfer to the operating room, a spinal block, and a quick c-section that recovered my baby just in time as a two inch tear was discovered in my uterus.

Luke was born at seven o'clock in the morning. Our fourth child and first boy. What a treasure he was from the moment he entered this world. I fell madly in love with my little guy the second I saw him, and continue to be enraptured by him today.



He is funny, animated, loving, stubborn, emotional, and incredibly handsome. He is polite, well behaved and extremely intelligent. He loves Legos and sports, riding bikes and watching Star Wars. He adores his sisters though he is a master at torture and teasing.

I love watching him grow and change, though I wish the transition would slow and each divine childhood stage would linger...just a bit longer...




I love that Luke's birthday correlates so conveniently with Thanksgiving each year, because he is certainly one of my greatest blessings and I am absolutely, unconditionally, overwhelmingly grateful for him!

7 comments:

The Wiseman's said...

Oh happy birthday Luke!!

Jana said...

Luke is a darling little boy. I love seeing him and Gavin play outside together. CUTE CUTE CUTE

Anonymous said...

What a blessing!

Mendon Packs said...

So sweet! You are such a great mom!

jessica said...

What a handsome little guy! Happy birthday Luke!

cami said...

WOW! What a day! I don't think anyone will forget the day that little guy came into our lives! Hope he had a great birthday! Duston is way stoked for the BIG party!

Janeen said...

So much to be thankful for. What a wonderful birthday month!