Friday, October 10, 2008

...attempts at well-roundedness...


Ballet
Tap
Jazz
Tumbling
Cheer
Soccer
Basketball
Karate
Gymnastics
Acting
Musical Theatre
Singing
Piano
Guitar

Each of these activities are ones embraced at one time or another by my girls over the past eight or nine years. The first week or two of each new undertaking consistently sees the realization of an unknown passion, the discovery of a new life dream...

By week three at the announcement of lessons or practice I inevitably receive "the look." You know the look I'm referring to...cheeks filled with air, lips pursed in that "do I HAVE to?" sort of way. Eyes rolled back slightly and nostrils flared just a smidge. As soon as I see "the look," I know that yet another extracurricular pursuit is about to bite the dust.

If we make it to week six, we are in full blown "I HATE dance/cheer/guitar/karate!"

At two months a decision must be made--sometimes we're done, no looking back, even after non-refundable registration fees, costume fees, recital fees, etc. Other times we persevere, week in and week out enduring the ensuing battle over thirty minute practice periods, extra lessons for performances, sore muscles, "really mean" teachers/coaches/instructors, and interference with inflexible social agendas.

Our latest pursuit is tennis and we are miraculously in our second straight year. It is more demanding than many of our previous attempts at well-roundedness, but it has produced far less complaining and criticism than the other undertakings combined.

Dare I say..."we have finally found it--their 'thing' their 'niche' their 'life passion'?" Well maybe passion is going a bit far, but for now, I am enjoying the good natured grins and lack of nasal flaring associated with the sport that may have just captured the ever-fickle hearts of my girls!




P.S. My darling cousin Ciara "tagged" me--so fun, but slight problem--I HONESTLY cannot come up with six random facts about myself that nobody knows!

Early New Years resolution...try not to be such an open book!

4 comments:

Janeen said...

Your girls are beautiful! Great sport too!

Jana said...

I love your family picture! Very cute. I hear you on let's try everything and then hate it! My girls only 8 and we have been through are share. Piano is the newest and I hope she sticks with it.

jessica said...

That's awesome, I love tennis! Your girls are way cute, Kelsea looks just like Cami.

cami said...

That IS a lot of attempts at well roundedness! You are a great mom to keep on tryin'!
I love your new pics on your side bar!