Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Everybody has to go to school


Luke started Kindergarten last week.
It was a day both of us had anticipated with excitement since the leisurely, playful days of preschool ended last spring.
He is ready, he really is, to expand his horizons both academically and socially.
I am ready as well, to have a bit of freedom offered in three hour increments each and every afternoon.
We had the entire morning to prepare, but giddy with enthusiasm, Luke was dressed in his stark white shirt and dapper navy shorts by nine. Requesting lunch at ten fifteen, he exclaimed "why does the morning have to be SO LONG?"

As last minute preparations were underway,
-backpack-CHECK
-shoes-CHECK
-potty-uhhhh (hurry!) ok CHECK
my sweet boy looked up at me with the exact same eyes that had gazed at me from the round face of a chubby, hairless, giggly bundle of baby boy that I held in my arms such a short time ago...

"Maybe you could come to school with me, just for today," he whispered with just a hint of apprehension.

"Oh buddy, I'm sorry, they don't let moms come to kindergarten, only kids."

His face clouded for just a second, then brightened and broke into a huge grin as he grabbed his backpack and ran for the car shouting "I forgot! I get to go to RECESS today!"

As we approached his school, Luke noticed the other kids in uniforms. "Whoa! This is freaky!" He said. "Everyone looks exactly like ME!"

We pulled up to the kindergarten drop off area and after lots of kisses and gigantic hugs, Luke opened the door and hopped out. He glanced back at me as the teacher closed the door, and the tears that had been stoically suspended all morning suddenly came in gushing force.

"Oh no no no no! This was not supposed to happen! We were so prepared for this day! Just drive away..." I told myself even though every part of me wanted to jump out and squeeze my baby and tell him that everything was going to be okay. He would have such fun in class, and make so many friends, his teacher would adore him, he would learn so many fascinating things, and no, he was not going to grow up before my tear-filled eyes...

I did drive away, my vision clouded by the mist of tears shed for time that has passed too quickly.

When Luke got home he burst through the door ran into my lonely arms exclaiming "Mom, I love school!" Through his detailed account of the hours spent in kindergarten I learned that one girl in his class cried as she left her mom.

"Well, I'm glad that YOU were brave and didn't cry," I said to him.

He looked at me with a puzzled grin and said "Why would I cry? It's just school--everybody has to go to school."

"Don't I know it, buddy, everybody (even my baby!) has to go to school."

8 comments:

Jana said...

OHHHH Cindy! I am crying! My Robbie made the dead line for this year by 2 weeks. I decided to keep him in pre school one more year. So he will go next year and I am already fighting it!

penny said...

Motherhood is not for wimps and sending babies to Kindergarten is definately not for wimps...I think you need a tub of Ben and Jerry's .

Jana said...

He is seriously the cutest boy ever! I think you need another one.

The Luke Family said...

Awww, I can't believe he is old enough for Kindergarten! Where has the time gone? Sure love you guys!!

The Wiseman's said...

I wanted to cry just reading this. Ashlee started school on Aug 5th and I cried like a baby! It will get better.

cami said...

Just sing the song 'Cause I'm free to do what I want, any ol' time!
(just as long as it is between the hours that Luke is actually in school!)
Cute lil guy!

Anonymous said...

So sweet. I will surely be crying when my last goes to school. What a big boy!

jessica said...

What a sweet, and handsome little guy! Will you start writing my blogs for me since you have some extra time on your hands????????? You are so good with words! He is so dang cute, he's just a little mini Scott. I hope he continues to enjoy kindergarten.