Wednesday, February 10, 2010

haiti (part 1)

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 5:25pm an earthquake, 7.0 magnitude, shook the country of Haiti to it's core. It collapsed homes and buildings, killing hundreds of thousands, injuring even more. It left millions of people homeless, jobless, injured, without electricity, running water or the means to obtain food, medication or living supplies.




I watched the horror unfold through CNN, NBC and other news sources, hearing stories of despair and tragic, unnecessary death due to lack of medical help, supplies and medication.





"I need to go there" I told Scott.

I felt a pull--deep within my soul. A want, a need...to help. I didn't quite understand it until I received a phone call two days later, exactly a week after the earthquake, it was my sister, Chris..."do you want to go to Haiti?"

"yes, yes I do..."

Less than forty-eight hours after Chris's call I was sitting on an airplane heading to LA to meet up with a group from the Church of Scientology. They had a chartered plane set to take us to Miami, then on to Haiti.

I began this journey all alone. The opportunity came my way (as an answer to prayer)and through my sister, Chris, whose friend Stephanie works for a local travel agency owned by a member of the Church of Scientology. As mentioned earlier, the church had chartered a plane to Haiti to transport a group of their "volunteer ministers" (young adults specifically trained in disaster search and rescue). They were looking for medical professionals to accompany them, and I was anxious and ready to go. With the unwavering support of my sweet husband and kids, parents, sisters/brother and friends, I was somehow able to arrange my busy life to fit into Scott's very busy schedule and answer this call to serve in the country of Haiti.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

I remained alone for most of the day. Although touched and impressed by the acceptance of my traveling companions, I couldn't help but feel I had embarked on this (humbling, life-changing but dangerous) trek a solitary individual, isolated by both my professional practice and personal beliefs.

Then I met Kim.



I just happened upon a group of three, mid-conversation, while wandering the airplane aisle en route to Miami. One person was motioning toward a woman seated just two rows ahead of me "...you are permitted to give out medication because you are a nurse..." That was all I needed to hear...I made my way to the seat in front of the woman, leaned over and got her attention. "I'm a nurse too!" (I couldn't help but blurt) Unsure of how she would react to my bold attentions, I pulled back a bit to allow her to respond. To my relief and sincere joy I saw reflected in her face the exact feelings that had been troubling me since morning. Her radiant smile embraced me, and I knew, from that moment on, I would no longer be alone.

At 1:00 am we began our descent into a pitch black city, one devoid of electricity or even much structure. Once on the ground Kim and I walked arm in arm off the plane and onto the tarmac. After retrieving our belongings we piled into a truck along with a group of doctors and other nurses we had met in Miami. We were silent as we drove through still, narrow streets toward a camp set up within the confines of the police department in Port Au Prince. Upon arrival we were directed to a stack of patio chairs, told to find an open spot and get some sleep before morning.

Friday, January 22, 2010
(from my journal)

"My first night in Haiti...Lying there in 95 degree temperature, bugs flying around my head, sounds of the tent city across the street and police officer banter making it impossible to sleep at all! My heart was pounding as I tried to relax and calm myself with deep breathing and prayer. What in the world have I gotten myself into? I should have just said NO! It was such short notice. I'd love to go another time, that's what I should have said. But, I didn't say no, I said yes, and I'm probably going to die in another earthquake or by some act of violence, or I'll catch some horrific disease and suffer for a few months...then die. Well, nothing I can do about it now. Make the best of it and hope the week goes by quickly!


Our camp and makeshift clinic in Port Au Prince...we were surrounded at all times by armed police officers and soldiers...




The "original crew." Talented, compassionate, extraordinary group of doctors and nurses I worked with my first two days in Haiti.



Our clinic was set within concrete rooms of the former police station. We tried to keep things as clean as possible, but were challenged by bugs, heat, humidity, and dust.







Patients (up to five hundred a day) were treated in a triage tent in front of the compound. Adults who needed additional care (wound debridment, dressing changes, IV fluids, surgical attention, OB concerns, etc.) were taken to the eight bed ER (surgeries were done under local anesthesia and sedation). All babies and children were sent directly to the peds room (to me!) (and some of the most incredible pediatricians I have ever had the privelege of working with!)






A day ladened with sadness and overwhelming need at some point transitioned into moments of inspiration, touching gratitude and gladness.




As the sun set on my first full day in Haiti I gave in to utter exhaustion and slumped onto my patio chair/mattress berth and drifted into a calm sleep. Shouts and laughter woke me as camp life grabbed its second wind and tales of the day, proper introductions, and requests for dinner successfully diffused the stress and emotions of the difficult day.

I am so happy to be here. What a difference a remarkable day makes...


coming up...my babies, the people, the beach and Wynchesla...

8 comments:

The Wiseman's said...

Cindy you make me happy!! I am so glad you could go help them. I can't think of a better person to help, you are an inspiration to me!! love ya!!

jessica said...

Cindy, you are amazing!! What an experience. You were the perfect person to go there and help those people, so giving, tender hearted, compassionate, and loving. You are an inspiration to me as well. Love you tons!!

Mendon Packs said...

Wow! thank you Cindy! You are such an example. I can't wait for more! My heart has just ached for those people. I have wanted to bring those little babies home to love. Thank you for your example of selfless service!

Jaycee's Journal said...

Wow i love those pics mom!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to say!!! Amazing. can't wait to hear more!!

Ash said...

Cindy, you are such an example to me!! I love you:)

Queen Lisa said...

Thank you Cindy.

Unknown said...

I love this post Cindy!! Awesome, I am in tears, Wyny called me yesterday, she says, " Mommy, Mommy, I come to US?"?