Wednesday, November 25, 2009

home and food and clothing

When I was a little girl and would kneel down at night to say my prayers I would repeat an array of familiar phrases that summed up in my young mind the things I was happy to have. One of these expressions of thankfulness went like this:

"I am thankful for home and food and clothing."

I'm not sure how I came up with this, but I thought it sounded nice so I restated it each and every night.

Those childhood words came to my mind recently as I was taking advantage of this bounteous time of year to remember and reflect on the many blessings I enjoy.

I am still thankful for home but on a much different level. I have a dear friend who is fighting valiantly through the difficult reality of losing the home she and her family have lived in for many years. A faltering economy and unstable real estate market put so many in jeopardy these days. I am thankful for the comfort of home.

I am thankful for food and try not to take it for granted, but find myself making my way through Costco each week purchasing un-necessities like pirate's booty and chocolate covered pomegranate seeds...without a second thought... while I hear tales of people I know relying solely on food storage for nourishment as week after week passes with little to no income.

And I give thanks for clothing, especially warm coats, scarves and mittens, all missing on a little boy I spotted walking to school recently on a morning threatening snow and boasting temperatures below thirty.

I am thankful, truly, sincerely, for all that I have. Not only home...and food...and clothing...but for those who share these marvelous blessings with me.

These guys. They drive me crazy, and make me yell. They bring me to tears then keep me laughing for days. They are mine and I love them dearly.



This guy. He works his (cute) booty off to provide the comforts we enjoy on a daily basis. He is helpful and humble, sweet and understanding. He is my man and I adore him.



Waxing nostalgic, I have to mention a few others...










Happy Thanksgiving...May our homes be blessed, our food be plentiful and our clothing bring warmth and comfort!

4 comments:

cami said...

Oooooo! Chris won't be too happy with that first picture of the three of us! I however am very thankful for that picture because I look darling! (joke)
I am very thankful that you are my sister! Not many people are as lucky as we are to have the awesome family that we have!

jessica said...

It is so easy to take things for granted like home, food and clothing. I love what you wrote, you have such a way with writing and I'm still waiting for you to write a book. I hope that you all have a very happy Thanksgiving! Love you tons!!

Mendon Packs said...

Thanks for that post! It is amazing how we can forget or overlook how truly blessed we are. Thank you for your friendship over the years. You are an amazing person!

Brooke said...

i love everything you said. you're SO right on.