Thursday, February 26, 2009

BECAUSE


I pampered myself today. It was therapeutic and crucial to my current well being, but it was pampering nonetheless.

After I made the appointment I second guessed my motives and considered self-indulgence, but then paused to acknowledge the reasons why I sought out a refuge of hot stones and deep tissue massage in the first place...

BECAUSE

...I have two teenage daughters who depending on the direction of the wind will choose to engage with me in conversation or roll their mascara-ed eyes when I inquire about school or friends.

BECAUSE

...I have Jaycee (who is my darling) but whose issues with such tricky things as weight, anxiety and academic/social situations at school make me weary on a daily basis as I strive to protect her and encourage and challenge her all at the same time.

BECAUSE

...Luke, who creamed me in a game of Super Smash Bros. on the Wii responded to his victory with a resounding "I sure beat the hell out of you!"

BECAUSE

...I am eating chicken for at least two meals every single solitary day.

BECAUSE

...I have not had a Hershey's Kiss for over a month.

BECAUSE

...My hormones are completely messed up and to remedy the associated symptoms I have been overloaded with doses of estrogen which make my moods swing like a gigantic pendulum, my head ache despite large doses of Ibuprofen, and a little thing called patience extinct within my existence.

BECAUSE

...I sit between at least two children at the kitchen island every evening bouncing back and forth completing stacks of homework rendered by teachers who have doled out enough punishment for taking my kids out of school for a week to keep me from ever doing it again.

(and lastly)

BECAUSE

...As I lay under the warmed sheet on the massage table my therapist ran the heel of her hand down the right side of my back and I felt the uneven "bump bump bump" of knotted muscles down the length of my trapezius and latissimus dorsi. An accumulation of stress, obligation, worry, time constraints, and self doubt (aka motherhood) all imbedded in the musculature of my spinal area.

Tonight I feel much better, more relaxed...BECAUSE I chose to put off doing a load of laundry and vacuuming my family room to take care of me and my needs.

Selfish? No way. Smartest thing I've done all week? Definitely.

BECAUSE... I deserve a little pampering...



(and you do too...)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm more relaxed just reading your post!! I LOVE luke!Hah.

Rachelle Woolley said...

AMEN!!
So glad you were able to get a few wonderful moments to yourself!! You definately deserve it!

cami said...

Sounds WONDERFUL! I am still laughing at the fact that Luke beat the hell out of you! So funny!

Jill said...

Sounds wonderful. I hate how we often feel guilt when we make time for ourselves. I'm trying to live by the mantra: "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

:)

jessica said...

Good for you! You need to be pampered more often!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I like adam but I love Lil Rounds. I also love that girl who wasn't chosen last week. Can't remember her name. She is from Salt Lake, Long blond hair, giant tattoo up her arm. LOVE HER. I hope the judges bring her back when they get to pick the last three into the top 12.