Monday, January 19, 2009

As simple as that

As '09 begins to secure that somewhat familiar, broken-in feel I think I've got a handle on some of the things in store for us this year.

I will never have to pay money for a yoga class...

simply because I find myself (frequently) closing my eyes and taking deep cleansing breaths in response to a rapidly maturing teenager who literally lives for friends, boys, name brand clothing, music and high school (she's still in jr. high). Anything outside the realm of these five categories is typically ignored with an eye roll and an exasperated "tuh!" (rhymes with duh)



Fortunately, my girl is a talker, (and she loves to borrow my shoes), so she confides in me the ups and downs of living life on the cusp of her great high school debut complete with boy joys and heartaches, demanding teachers and compulsions to fit in and yet be able to stand alone. For this confidence I am grateful, as well as for the iron-clad will and unwavering standards she displays for all who know or come in contact with her.
(I pray every day this will not change.)

I will never understand the mind of my second born child...

simply because one minute she is riding the unicycle (she requested and received for Christmas) around the family room, teetering precariously, arms outstretched and flailing in a vain attempt to control her balance atop the one wheeled cycle, and the next she is locked in her bathroom applying mascara, curling hair, painting nails, exiting only to inquire "I am ever going to get contacts?" Then she's off with friends to the movies to see a show and meet a boy...what is up with that?



Fortunately, my girl is an incredibly kind, mild tempered soul, and as she diffuses troublesome tirades and squabbles amongst her friends, I am grateful that she is a peacemaker.

The rest of us know that life revolves around the two mentioned above...

simply because...they are enjoying life, making the most of new-found freedom and expanding boundaries as they develop a sense of who they are and what direction they are heading. Of course they don't realize all that is going on in their adolescent lives. They are focused not on the importance of wise, imperative decisions, but on what to wear, where to go and who will be there.

2009 will be a great year...

simply because I've learned to take cleansing breaths and have given up on the notion of consistency in my household.

This year I resolve to have fun with my girls, treasure the positives and not brood over the negatives. We will enjoy this time of life, it's just too much fun not to!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed. What great kids!!

cami said...

Great post! You will be able to enjoy 2009 with your girls because you don't have to raise me as a teenager! (just remind yourself that every time you are upset with one of them!)

Josh and Shalae said...

My goodness Cindy, your kids are beautiful! This is Shalae from AHM. You are such a talented writer. You should write a book. (If you haven't already) It's good to find your blog, that way I can keep up to date on your cute little family:)

Mendon Packs said...

Cute kids! It is so bitter sweet. It is so fun to watch them grow but I find myself getting teary when I see pictures of when they were so little.